Friday, March 18, 2011

Entry 8: Philippe Halsman

Photograph of Marta Toren
Media: Gelatin Silver Print
 Size: 14" x 11"
 Circa: 1951
 


Audrey Hepburn

Philippe Halsman was Latvian born photographer that is known for his portraits of famous people.  What I like about his photographs is how he seems to catch his subjects in their natural environment.  In the first photograph I like how he captured the intense stare of the woman.  Also with her arms crossed she seems to be hiding something.  

The second photograph is my favorite. I like his point of view and the set up of the chess pieces.  It makes me feel like I am a chess piece in the game and watching one of the players contemplate his next move. I think the knight facing the man's face seems to be offering some type of advice that I think is a nice touch. What really drew me to this photo is how the king is obscuring part of the man's face and how hard the man is focusing on the king. 















No comments:

Post a Comment